Getting organized is the name of the game when your moving date is just weeks away. So American Holiday has put together this handy time table so you can make sure you do the items necessary to make your moving process as smooth as possible.
4 Weeks Before
- Contact American Holiday for your free, no obligation estimate.
- Notify the Post office of your new address and send change-of-address cards to friends, relatives and periodicals. You can do so on-line at usps.com.
- Arrange for any repairs or installations in your new home.
- Obtain forms for transferring drivers license(s) and applying for credit.
- Notify school(s) of children’s transfer. Check into pre-registration procedures for the new schools.
3 Weeks Before
- Send drapes, carpets, furniture for repairs or cleaning.
- Arrange to have utilities, appliances and telephone disconnected and arrange for utility and telephone hook-up in your new home.
- Obtain dental and medical records to take with you.
- If you are planning on packing yourself, now is a good time to start.
- Make any travel arrangements, including interim hotel reservations and car rental.
- Decide what to move and what to give away. Have a garage sale!
2 Weeks Before
- Return library books and anything borrowed from friends or neighbors.
- Relax! Take the family for a farewell drive to some of the places you’ve loved. Have a “going away” party for the kids and their friends.
- Take care of bills, stocks and investments.
- Take pet(s) to veterinarian for immunization and preparation for trip.
- Pay and pick up any store layaways or items that are being cleaned, stored or repaired.
- Arrange for the transfer of any bank or other accounts.
- Drain oil and gasoline from power equipment.
- Have car prepared for the trip. Check tires, brakes, windshield wipers, etc.
1 Week Before
- Transfer prescriptions.
- Arrange for delivery services to be discontinued – newspapers, etc.
- Start gathering those items to take with you on your trip.
Just Days Before
- Pack luggage.
- Defrost and dry refrigerator and freezer to be moved.
- Obtain cash or travelers checks for trip expenses.
- Pack immediate needs such as coffee pot, a few dishes, pots and pans, towels, soap and bedding.
- Complete any packing you are doing yourself!
- Remember, if you have any questions regarding moving, contact American Holiday. We’re more than happy to help!